Have you been in an accident with a “Professional Driver”?
There are a lot of semi trucks and tractor trailers on the road being driven by professional drivers. The term gives you the impression that they are taking extra care while on the road because they were trained to operate their vehicle safely. Unfortunately, people who drive for a living are more likely to fall asleep at the wheel or take pills to help them stay awake.
It is estimated that half a million accidents involve trucks every year. These accidents are often catastrophic. When that many tons hits a passenger car, the passenger will take the worst of it. Truck drivers tend to walk away from an accident relatively unscathed while the occupants of the smaller car are seriously wounded or even killed. If you have been the victim of a truck accident, contact our legal team today. We can guide you through the process and make sure all of your questions are answered.
What should I do if I have just been in a truck accident?
Truck accidents cause trauma even when you are physically uninjured so you may not be thinking as clearly as you normally would. If you have been in a truck accident, keep the following in mind:
- Check on yourself, your passengers and the other driver to see if anyone needs medical attention.
- Keep your mouth shut. Don’t say anything like “I’m sorry” or “I didn’t see you” because even if you are just being polite, it can be taken as admitting responsibility. It is best to avoid talking with the other driver except to swap insurance information.
- Call the police and swap insurance information.
- If your phone can take pictures then you should document the truck accident as thoroughly as possible. Also, get the names of any witnesses and take notes about what happened. It may get hazy later and you will need to refresh your memory.
- Contact an experienced truck accident lawyer.