Slips and falls are quite common. The seriousness of an injury can range from mild to incapacitating. While an injury such as a sprained ankle may be treated at home and heal quickly, some falls result in broken bones, head trauma, or spinal injuries of the back and neck. Injuries may leave lifetime visible scars.
The National Floor Safety Institute compiled the following statistics on slip and fall accidents:
- A third of people over the age of 65 will experience a fall and half of these will be repeat fallers.
- Falls account for over 8 million emergency room visits and are the leading cause of visits (21.3%). Slips account for over 1 million visits (12% of total falls).
- Slips and falls are the leading cause of workers' compensation claims and the leading cause of occupational injury for people aged 55 years and older.
- 85% of worker's compensation claims are attributed to employees slipping on slick floors.
- 22% of slip and fall incidents result in more than 31 days missed from work.
According to the American Trucking Association, slips and falls are the leading cause of occupational injury in the trucking industry.
If you have slipped or fallen, please seek medical attention immediately.
If you injure yourself on someone else's property as a result of hazardous conditions, the owner of the property or business may be legally liable for your injuries.
An experienced attorney can help protect your rights and recover damages. Please call the Don Turner Legal Team today at 770-594-1777 about your injury claim.