The City of Roswell, located in Fulton County, Georgia, prosecutes many different types of misdemeanor crimes including shoplifting cases.
Shoplifting anything with a value of $500.00 or less is a misdemeanor charge in Georgia. The Official Code of Georgia § 16-8-14 defines Theft by Shoplifting as follows:
A person commits the offense of theft by shoplifting when such person alone or in concert with another person, with the intent of appropriating merchandise to his or her own use without paying for the same or to deprive the owner of possession thereof or of the value thereof, in whole or in part, does any of the following
(1) Conceals or takes possession of the goods or merchandise of any store or retail establishment;
(2) Alters the price tag or other price marking on goods or merchandise of any store or retail establishment;
(3) Transfers the goods or merchandise of any store or retail establishment from one container to another;
(4) Interchanges the label or price tag from one item of merchandise with a label or price tag for another item of merchandise; or
5) Wrongfully causes the amount paid to be less than the merchant's stated price for the merchandise.
Punishment for 1st Time Offense:
The maximum punishment for an individual charged with Theft by Shoplifting in Roswell, is $1,000.00 fine and up to 12 months in custody. Community service and a shoplifting class may also be required.
Typically, if this is your 1st offense, you could be eligible for the Roswell Municipal Court Diversion Program.
Diversion Program - Roswell Municipal Court:
A 1st time offender will likely be eligible for the Pre-Trial Diversion Program for a Shoplifting charge in Roswell Municipal Court. In order to be eligible, you must have no prior convictions or have never participated in a previous diversion program.
Typically, the length of time in the program is 12 weeks. During the 12 weeks, you will be placed on court supervision to complete required conditions.
Diversion Program Requirements for Shoplifting Charge:
- $500 diversion program fee
- Completion of Shoplifters Alternative Course
- Community service - typically 50 hours at a non-profit 501(c)(3) charity
The greatest thing about the Roswell Diversion Program, is that upon successful completion of the program, the Shoplifting charge against you will be Nolle Prossed - in essence, it will be dismissed. With Georgia's new record restriction laws, your record will be restricted and you can truthfully say you were not convicted of this offense.