Don't make the mistake of thinking a DUI is a standard traffic charge like speeding or following too closely. It can carry thousands of dollars in fines and significant jail time. One thing that many people don't realize is that loss of your license is a mandatory penalty in most states. You have a chance to get it back but if you get pulled over for DUI then odds are you're taking a cab home.
The 10 steps of the Georgia DUI process:
- The Arrest: It all begins when you get pulled over and you are arrested by the Police.
- Bond: You will need to get bonded out if you don't want to stay in jail until your court date arrives.
- DUI Attorney: You will need an experienced DUI attorney on your side, whether you want to take it to court or just get the best deal possible. Keep in mind that if you don't have a DUI attorney representing you then the court really has no reason to give you a deal. They will just set your fines and penalties however they want.
- Ten day letter: This is a crucial step in your DUI defense. If you refused the breath or blood test then you need to send your ten day letter because it starts the process that you will use to keep driving. If you or your DUI attorney doesn't send this letter then you will lose your ability to drive for up to one year.
- Discovery: You or your DUI attorney will start filing discovery motions so you can review the state's evidence.
- Motions: If you need to file motions to suppress evidence or things of that nature, it will be done at this stage.
- Conference: You will get together with the judge or prosecutor at this step for a pre-trial conference.
- Plea: You enter your plea of either guilty or not guilty.
- Trial: You go to trial and lay out your evidence to let the Judge decide your guilt or innocence. Without a DUI attorney to help you, it is usually an easy conviction for the prosecution.
- Appeal: You can appeal your case if you feel you have grounds but it is generally considered a long shot.
At The Don Turner Legal Team we have years of experience with the Georgia DUI process. Our dedicated team of attorneys will help you fight your charges now!